Export-VM to drive share

Apr 12, 2011 at 9:14 PM

I am having trouble exporting a VM to a shared drive when I run the export-vm command from the server sharing the drive.  The same command works when run from the server with the VM on it.    I am using the command "export-vm VmName \\ShareServer\Share VmServer -copystate -wait".  When run from the ShareServer, I get a 'general access denied' error.  Both servers are part of the same domain, and I am logged in as the domain admin when I run the commands.  I would greatly appreciate any help.

thanks,

Steve

Apr 17, 2011 at 3:34 PM

I thought I should add some more info to my post.  The ShareServer is running WIndows HyperV Server 2008 R2.  The VmServer is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprize edition.  Also, if I run the export-cm command and try to export the same VM to the C: drive of the VmServer it works without error.

STEVE

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Hello,

Try to give a full access to the shared drive for the computer account.
fabrice

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Hello Fabrice,

I have verified both computer accounts do have full access.  If you run the command from the VmServer to export to the ShareServer, it works.

Steve

Oct 12, 2011 at 8:11 AM

I don't understand, have you solve this trouble or not?

I also have such kind of trouble, the difference is: I try to export VM from Hyper-V cluster (Windows Server 2008 R2) to remote share on Samba. Export job started from user, who have all rigths on this shared folder, but I can't write vhd-file from export.

I think, if this cmdlet (Export-VM) has such parameter as -Credential (like Move-Item cmdlet), which transmit credentials, it will works.

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:30 PM

My problem was I could not start an export to a share from the machine offering the share. I was able to get the export to a share to work from the machine with the VM. The trick is to give the server and the user permissions on the share. The Virtual PC Guy’s Blog has instructions on how to do this using windows. Maybe you can adapt them to Samba. The link is http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2010/03/15/exporting-to-importing-from-a-network-share-hyper-v.aspx

Steve

Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:11 AM
To: seday@tds.net
Subject: Re: Export-VM to drive share [PSHyperv:253626]

I don't understand, have you solve this trouble or not?

I also have such kind of trouble, the difference is: I try to export VM from Hyper-V cluster (Windows Server 2008 R2) to remote share on Samba. Export job started from user, who have all rigths on this shared folder, but I can't write vhd-file from export.

I think, if this cmdlet (Export-VM) has such parameter as -Credential (like Move-Item cmdlet), which transmit credentials, it will works.

Oct 12, 2011 at 2:20 PM

I have been read this instructions. The problem based on difference between access rights in Samba and NTFS. Those method is not for me :(