How do you make a VM highly available on a cluster?

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:51 AM
Edited Feb 28, 2012 at 12:51 AM

How do you make a VM highly available on a cluster? Is there a switch I'm missing in this tool?

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Anyone?

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:36 PM

One of the first things I learned with managing VMs is to manage from the highest level down.  In other words, if you are managing the cluster from SCVMM, use SCVMM to manage the VMs.  If you just have a cluster, use cluster manager to manage the VMs.  If you dno't have a cluster, manage through the Hyper-V management console.  The reason is that there are refresh timers through this, and SCVMM talks to cluster and cluster talks to Hyper-V.  So if you make a change in Hyper-V, it takes a while for things to filter all the way up.  I know, this wasn't exactly your question, but it sort of leads into my answer.

If you created a VM on a cluster, but you created it through the Hyper-V console instead of the Cluster console, you need to right-click on the Services and applications within the cluster manager and select Configure a Service or an Application.  Scroll down in the list and select a Virtual Machine.  Then select the VM you want to make highly available.  If you create the VM through the cluster console, you don't have to do this.  If you create the VM through VMM, there is a checkbox to say that you want it to be highly available.

Mar 4, 2012 at 12:56 AM

good god Tim, you must be a manager. You said a lot without providing any useful information relating to my original question.  Let me type it here for you, but slower so you can note the important part:

Is there a switch I'm missing in this tool?

I'm not hanging out on a Hyper-V management toolset site for my own interest in how you use SCVMM.  I'm here because I have questions ABOUT PSHYPERV. 

So do you have any answers about THIS TOOL? 

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM

<grin> - not a manager; never have been, never want to be one.

But, I have spent a lot of time talking to people that have all the components in place and make the mistake of using the wrong tool.

First sentence of the second paragraph is how you make a VM highly available if it was created outside the cluster.

May 1, 2012 at 8:51 PM

To build my first Hyper-V Cluster I used Aidan Finn's whitepaper as a guide: http://www.aidanfinn.com/?p=11208

May 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Create the VM using PSShyper-V, and make it available using cluster cmdlets. make sure configuration and VHD reside on a shared resource, preferably a CSV

https://www.google.mu/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=Add-ClusterResource+virtual+machine&oq=Add-ClusterResource+virtual+machine&aq=f&aqi=q-w1&aql=&gs_l=hp.3..33i21.629.4597.0.4734.19.17.1.0.0.0.524.3685.0j10j1j5-3.14.0...0.0.TkleLdLbQsg&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=ee36e05b54b47800&biw=1920&bih=920