Network Issue with 2008 R2 RC

Jun 26, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Dear John,

I developed a powershell script to create VMs from an excel spreadsheet (CSV) using the PSHyperV library. It has been working fine on Windows 2008 and 2008 R2 Beta. However, we have just upgraded a couple of the beta servers to run Windows 2008 R2 RC. I put the VMs back using the script and I've found that they no longer see any network connections. If I create a couple of VMs by hand using HyperV manager they can happily ping each other etc but if I use the library functions to create them they can't . The VMs are running windows 2008, windows 2003 and XP so it doesn't seem to matter what OS they use. All the VMs are running on the same server.

It may not be relevant but I noticed that when I create the VMs using the Powershell library the network adapter is called "VMBus Network Adapter" in HyperV manager but if I create them by hand with HyperV Manager they are called "Network Adapter".

Interestingly if I remove the network adapter from the VM using HyperV manager and put it back by hand the VM then thinks there are 2 network cards, one of which is invisible. The only way to fix this is to delete the VM and recreate it. Sysprep (for example) doesn't sort it. In any event it still can't ping anything other than itself.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Best wishes....

Colin

Coordinator
Jul 24, 2009 at 7:36 PM

The naming is deliberate to make the names clearer. I can't repro this problem, but I'll dig a bit deeper.